Selection Pressure, LLC is a small business based in Alexandria, VA in business since 2010.
SP is run by John Scott. John has been focused on developing intelligence approaches and methods to understand and estimate risks around software and source code in the cyber domain by consulting with commercial and federal clients around estimating software and cyber risk. He helped draft the U.S. Department of Defense policy for the use of open source software and is frequently called as an expert in this area, founded Open Source for America, an advocacy group for use of open source software in government and the Military Open Source Software Working Group (http://mil-oss.org/). He also writes about software and defense acquisitions related issues, recently at the Wall Street Journal “Send in the Tech Reinforcements” – 2/11/13.
- Founder, MIL-OSS & The Codice Foundation, www.codice.org, both industry-driven consortia of government, academia and industry providing infrastructure, support, education, and export control advice to communities of gov-focused engineers & org’s operating open source projects.
- Co-Chairman & Founding Member, Open Source for America, www.opensourceforamerica.org
- Former Editorial Board, DoD SoftwareTech News Magazine, www.softwaretechnews.com
- Former Chairman, National Defense Industrial Association’s (NDIA) Command, Control, Communications and Computers (C4) Division
- Term Member, Council on Foreign Relations (2007-2012)
- Member, City of Alexandria IT Commission
LinkIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-scott/0/54/308
- Send in the Tech Reinforcements Wall Street Journal, Feb. 11, 2013
- Open Technology Development Lessons Learned and Best Practices for Military Software, May 2011, DoD-CIO / OSD-AT&L published report
- Pentagon Is Losing the SoftWar(e), Defense News, 21 June 2010
- Network-Centric Warfare, Total System Design & Testing, The DoD SoftwareTech News, July 2009, Vol. 12. No. 2
- Early Adapters’ Lessons: How Government Other Sectors Implemented Open Source Software, I/ITSEC 2008 Paper No. 8381, P. McDowell & J. Scott
- COTR Warriors: Open Technologies and the Business of War, The DoD SoftwareTech News, June 2007, Vol. 10. No. 2
- Network-Centric Warfare, Total System Design & Testing, Office of Secretary of Defense, Office of Force Transformation, June 2005
- Systems Approach to how DoD Acquires Systems, Center for International & Strategic Studies, Beyond Goldwater-Nichols: Phase 2 Working Group: Building a New Defense Acquisitions Process, January 2005
- Transportation Network Topologies, Holmes, B., Scott, J. (2004). 4th Integrated Communications, Navigation, and Surveillance (ICNS) Conference
- Evolutionary testing as both a testing and redesign tool: a study of a shipboard firemain’s valve and pump controls. Anderson, C., Bonabeau, E, & Scott, J.S. (2004). Proceedings of the Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC2004), Portland, OR, June 2004
- Masters Thesis – A System Dynamics Model of the Operations, Support and Disposal Costs of New Technologies for Ship Systems, Virginia Polytechnic & State University, 2002
- Patent: USPTO # 20050118612: Methods and systems for applying genetic operators to determine system conditions
- Errata: http://powdermonkey.blogs.com/, Crossfit (2009) Level 1 Certificate